If you’re a serious meditator, you really need buy a good meditation mat, meditation pillow or meditation cushion.Thankfully there are lots of good options available and in this guide I will show you how to choose.
A good meditation seat will massively h youredr practice.
It all comes down to posture.
The best meditation pillows improve posture, and this helps both with your practice and with your health.
Because of this, I personally consider it essential for all serious practitioners to buy a meditation mat, pillow, or cushion. They are arguably the most important of all meditation furniture items.
But how to choose a meditation cushion, that’s the questions. And which is the best meditation cushion to buy?
In this guide I’ll show you
- Best meditation mat / cushion / pillow to get
- Why you need one
- How to choose a meditation pillow mat / cushion
- Other ideas for meditation rooms
Best meditation cushions & best meditation mats to buy online
Here are my personal picks of the best meditation cushions.
Seat Of Your Soul Meditation Cushion 2019
This is an organic meditation mat filled with buckwheat. What I like about it is that it is solidly built from excellent quality materials. In my view it is one of the best zabutons with back support. And there are tons of different colours to choose from too.
The one slight negative is that it is not very thick and there is limited room for the hips when you are sitting for a long retreat. For this reason, I would recommend that you choose a different one if you’re sitting for extended period of time. However, if you tend to practice for twenty minutes to an hour it is a great choice.
Leewadee Meditation Cushion Set
If you’re looking for the best meditation cushion set from a visual perspective, it has to be this one. It looks beautiful. Put this in your spiritual space and will really add some gorgeous aesthetics!
This meditation pillow set is full of kapok, which is a plant fiber. It’s solidly built and very comfortable. I do find the zafu hard. Also, the colours in the image are slightly different to how they appear in real life (a minor issue but definitely not a deal breaker).
Overall, this is the best meditation pillow set to buy for visual appeal.
Mindful and Modern Zabuton Meditation Mat
This is the best meditation mat on sale if you’re looking for pure comfort. It offers tons of support for long sitting sessions. It is a large meditation mat that will support your knees and legs, plus it comes with a zafu.
This is the best meditation pillow for posture problems. It will help you to sit with good posture, which is essential when you sit for long periods of time.
Brentwood Home Crystal Cove Meditation Pillow
This is one of the best meditation pillows to buy for home. It is a very comfortable pillow that is a subtle colour so it will fit right in even in your living room. It is filled with buckwheat.
The one small gripe I have with this one is that the patterns of the pillow are different to how they appear in the photo. This is a small point, and I do still like the way it looks, but I would have preferred it to look exactly like the photo. Still, one of the best meditation pillows to buy for comfort. Plus, it has a very casual look so you can even use it in the living room when you’re watching the TV!
Bloom Meditation Pillow
This is one of the best meditation pillows for sheer visual appeal. I mean look at it. It is beautiful! It has a leaf effect which adds a nice natural aesthetic to your space. One of the nice little touches of this meditation pillow is that you can customize it. You can choose to have a firm meditation pillow, soft one or however you like.
I will say that it is quite a small cushion and it was a little bit too firm for my liking. But overall I have to say it is one of the best meditation cushions online that you can buy.
Bean Products Zafu and Zabuton Meditation Cushion Set
This is one of the best meditation mat sets with support for your spine and hips. I personally found this one very comfortable and I do love the range of colour choices. There are so many options you can definitely find one that is perfect for your home decor!
I will say that it is not quite as thick a meditation mat as it appears in the pictures. And the cover feels a little bit loose.
Benefits of meditaiton cushions
There are lots of benefits of meditation mats and pillows. Of course, the main reason people buy meditation mats is for pure comfort while you are sitting for long sessions. But there are big health benefits too.
For starters, if you have bad posture when you meditate, you could be seriously damaging your spine.
The best mats and cushions can help you to sit comfortably when meditating and to correct your posture.
Consider the fact that bad posture can:
- Cause pain in the lower back and knees, as well as in the neck, shoulders or wrists
- Cause negative emotions like anxiety and depression
- Cause digestive issues because of the constriction of your gut
- Prevent proper breathing because your diaphragm is compressed
- Cause tension headaches
- And ruin your focusing, making your practice sessions pointless
A traditional pillow like a Zafu or Zabuton will correct your posture so you sit properly, supporting not just your practice but your health too.
How To Choose A Meditation Pillow / mat: The Basics
Different meditators have different needs.
Your height, weight, budget, reasons for meditating, and the space you meditate in… all these things affect your choice of meditation pillow.
So let’s talk about how to choose ameditation cushion for your individual needs.
Step 1: What are your needs?
Different people have different needs.
Before you buy meditation cushions, choose what you need from one. Is it visual appeal? Is it to help to correct your posture? Is it to alleviate a certain pain you’ve been experience when you practice? Nailing down your reason for getting one will help you choose the best one for you.
Ask yourself the following questions?
What type of exercises will you be doing on your meditation pillow?
Choosing the best meditation mat / pillow often depends on the type of exercise you will be doing.
Zazen, for instance, requires kneeling, and therefore requires a yoga cushion that supports the knees. That’s why the best meditation cushion for Zen is a Zafu (a round pillow also known as a putuan). Mats are a good choice too.
Other exercises are done sitting down, for which a different type of pillow is required (we look at the different options below).
And still some exercises use shavasana (lying down to meditate).
Decide which technique you’ll be doing before choosing your pillow.
Do you have any special requirements?
Many people have special requirements that require specific types of meditation cushions.
For instance, if you have spinal injuries you will need a meditation cushion that helps support your spine.
This will be a major factor in choosing a meditation cushion.
If you have an injury it should be your top priority to get a meditation cushion that supports the injured part of your body. Cushions that offer back support will state so on the description page (or label).
If it’s a meditation pillow for home, where will you put it?
How will the meditation pillow fit with the decor of the room? What color will you get? Does the pattern / design matter? Naturally you want your mindfulness room to look beautiful and it will probably feature other items like a Buddha statue, for instance. Therefore, it’s a good idea to know your color schemes before you choose a yoga pillow so your overall room ends up looking beautiful.
Note that you might need a specific height of cushion if you are putting it in a spiritual shrine or altar.
The Best Meditation Pillows For Posture
The average person spends a long time sitting.
That’s why proper posture is vital.
Your body needs proper support when you’re sitting or you may suffer a spinal injury.
If you are sitting for a long time in the wrong position you’ll put pressure on your spine, your legs, your gluts, everything.
Want to pay for a chiropractor?
Didn’t think so.
So make sure you’re posture is right.
Proper posture means that your spine is erect with your lower back curved in (lumbar support, people). Your upper back is going to be a little bit curved and your head and neck should feel like they are floating lightly towards the ceiling.
You will know when you have the right position because it will feel as though your spine is holding itself up with zero effort.
To test your yoga pillow:
- Sit in it.
- Get comfy.
- Check your spine. It should have natural curves and feel comfortable.
- Stay seated for 10 minutes. You should not have any discomfort.
- Feels cozy? Great. It’s a keeper.
- If you are buying a meditation cushion online you obviously will not be able to test it. You can make up for this by looking for reviews from people with similar needs.
Different Pillows For Different Postures
Different yoga pillows are good for different postures:
For kneeling .
Kneeling is often best done on a Zafu, Yoga Bolster, Rectangular Meditation Cushion, or Meditation Bench
These types of cushions give a lot of support to your upper body and reduce the pressure on your knee joints, which helps to reduce the chances of injury.
A BackJack Chair is one of the best options for sitting positions. Backjacks chairs are sturdy floor chairs usually filled with foam.
For maximum support on your lower back you might also like to use a round cushion with your backjack chair. This will help to get your spine in the right ‘S’ position.
For Lying Down (shavasana).
A yoga mat is one of the best options for lying down.
These offer you basic support for your whole body. You can also add a yoga bolster and yoga blanket for extra support under your knees, back and neck.
Step 3. Different types of meditation pillows
The first step to finding the perfect cushion is to determine what broad-range category you’re going to be getting.
Let’s take a look.
The Zafu Meditation Cushion.
- These are the traditional cushions for Zen meditation.
- Zafus are generally round and have a pleated cushion.
- The benefit of a Zafu is that it lifts your body up in such a way that your legs and spine are comfortable.
- You will generally position yourself on the edge of your Zafu so that the hips are rolled forwards lightly. This slight movement helps to get your spine into proper alignment.
- Most Zafu are fine for people of regular height and weight.
- If you are a little taller you might like to get a higher Zafu that gives plenty of room for your legs, otherwise you will feel cramped.
- This is a very stylish cushion that looks like a children’s drawing of a butterfly.
- Cosmic Ccushions feature a built-in slope that helps to make sure you sit in the proper position.
- Cosmic Cushions are wide, which produces plenty of support for the legs when you’re sitting in full-lotus position.
- Overall, this is an excellent choice and particularly good for taller people.
Rectangular Meditation Pillow:
- These are often the best yoga cushions for home because the shape means they take up less space.
- They’re easier to put away after your sessions.
- You might find that with a rectangular yoga cushion you need to fold your legs in more, which is fine for those of us who are particularly flexible but could be challenging for other people.
The Zabuton Meditation Cushion
- These are the best yoga cushions for supporting your ankles and knees.
- If you have knee injuries I recommend you purchase a zabuton.
- Usually Zabutons are put under one of the other types of meditation cushion. This provides additional support and will help make sure that you sit in the right position.
Meditation Mat / Yoga Mat
These are the best types of yoga cushions for kneeling. And they can also make for beautiful decorative pieces.
You might like to buy a yoga mat in addition to a cushion (extra support + that hallmark Zen fashion style)
4. Choose the best color
So now you should have a pretty good idea of what type of meditation pillow you’d like to get. The next consideration is what colour cushion you’d like.
The colour of your meditation cushion should promote the state of mind that you want when you meditate.
- Red: The warmest colour. Creates feelings of love and passion.
- Green: Connects you with nature and produces balance and calmness.
- Blue: The most relaxing colour. Helps you to calm.
- Black: Black is a serious colour that produces feelings of authority. This will make you respect your meditation more and will encourage you to get deeper into meditation.
- Orange: A positive colour good for happiness and positivity.
- Yellow: Produces feelings of joy.
Which is your favorite pillow?
Write a comment below.