Picking a meditation chair is one of the most important things a new meditator can do.
A good meditation chair will radically improve your meditation practice. Science proves it. A bad chair leads to bad posture. Bad posture negatively effects your mental state, making it hard to meditate.
A good chair will correct your posture. And that good posture will create focus, inner peace, and the right mindset for a successful meditation.
In this guide we will help you find and purchase the perfect meditation chair. And you will probably want to read THE DAILY MEDITATION’s guide to choosing the best meditation cushions too.
Why you seriously need a good meditation chair
Meditation chairs are one of the most important meditation tools.
Well, let me ask you: Have you ever tried meditating on the bus?
Try it. You will immediately know why your meditation chair matters.
I personally take the bus everywhere because I love to help the environment. And I always meditate on the bus because it is a challenge. The uncomfortable chair makes it difficult to relax and the other passengers make it hard to focus.
That’s a bad meditation chair. A good one does the opposite.
The best meditation chairs have back support that is specifically designed to support good posture so you can find your Zen when meditating. Sitting in one of those chairs, you will feel utterly divine and tranquil.
This is especially important in meditation that have specific sitting positions, like Zen (READ: Zen Sitting Positions).
That’s why meditation chairs are one of the most important meditation tools.
In my guide to creating a room for meditation, I recommended that you get both a meditation seat and cushion. Both are reasonably inexpensive items, and both will do wonders for you.
Obviously you want to make sure you’re spending your money wisely (and THE DAILY MEDITATION is here to help you with that). So let’s take a look at the benefits you will get from a good meditation chair.
Meditation Chairs: The Benefits They Offer
There are two very important benefits that meditation chairs offer.
Firstly, they help you to sit with good posture when meditating. This helps to support your body and to prevent injury. This is huge for people who sit with meditating. The chance of injury is one reason why I wrote about why sitting for meditation is probably a bad idea.
Secondly, because you fidget less when you have a meditation seat, they help you to focus.
So, to recap, a good meditation chair should:
- Support your body
- Prevent fidgeting so you are able to focus.
Regardless of the design, fabric, color, and other aesthetic choices, those two purposes are paramount. You will know that a meditation chair is bad when it does not achieve those two things.
You are probably aware of the importance of good posture when meditating, or when sitting in general. Bad posture will injure you, and after a long time you could even suffer a spinal injury. So it is imperative to get a good meditation chair.
When you purchase a meditation chair, make sure it offers good spinal support, and helps you to focus. When you sit in it you should feel relaxed; not tired, not lazy, but relaxed and focused.
Other benefits of a meditation chair:
A meditation chair should:
- Support your weight
- Help you to sit with good posture and with proper spinal alignment
- Offer lumbar support
- Help you focus
- Reduce the stress of sitting
- You may prefer it if the chair is easy to stack
- It should be made of high quality fabric for durability
- Also consider whether you will be travelling or hiking with it, and how that affects your decision.
- They are one of the best gifts for meditators / Buddhists.
Tips for Choosing A Meditation Chair
You now know the benefits of meditation chairs. But there are many other things to bear in mind when choosing a chair.
Bear these tips in mind:
- If you get an antique meditation chair, make sure that it is in good condition and not liable to break.
- A cheap meditation chair may not be durable because it will be made of cheap fabric. That said, there are some cheap meditation chairs that are perfectly acceptable. Here’s the deal: when you’re looking to buy a cheap meditation chair you wont get everything. With a cheap meditation chair you have to choose between design and comfort (choose comfort; after all, this is for meditating, not decorative furniture).
- If you want to conserve space, you should definitely consider a collapsible meditation chair.
- It is definitely possible to make a DIY meditation chair, but be honest with yourself, will a DIY meditation seat offer enough back support? If not, is it worth putting your time and effort into making one? (If you want to make it for fun because you love crafts then sure, go DIY nuts, don’t let me stop you, but just be aware that it probably won’t end up as good as a professionally constructed one).
- There are lots of different types of chairs (Chakra, Dhyana, lotus, Nori, Osho, Tibetan) but regardless of the specific style and design, they should all offer the same benefits, which we’ve looked at above.
- Try out both meditation seats and meditation cushions and determine whether one is better for you or whether you want both.
- If you have a small room you might want to look for a foldable meditation chair to buy. This will conserve space.
- As with any other product, prices vary. How much do meditation chairs cost? From $20 to several thousand (for antiques).
The Best Meditation Chairs
There are 8 types of meditation seat that I recommend.
- Buddha Bliss Meditation Chair
- Ikuko Meditation Bench
- Back Jack Floor Chair
- Alexia Meditation Seat
- Zen Comfort Memory Foam Seat Cushion
- Acacia Wood Meditation Bench
- Friends Of Meditation Large Relaxing Buddha Meditation And Yoga Seat
- Joy Is Within You Meditation Bench
Let’s take a look at each of these in turn.
Friends of Meditation Buddha Bliss Meditation Chair
The Friends Of Buddha: Buddha Bliss Meditation Chair was specifically designed to make Satsang (sacred gathering) and retreats more comfortable. Naturally, when you are meditating at a retreat you need a good chair, one that you can sit in for extended periods of time.
Another great thing about this meditation chair is that I found it very easy to travel with. The Buddha Bliss chair is fully foldable, so you can easily squeeze it in the back of your car.
Bear in mind that this seat is ideal for people under 5 foot 9 (which sadly means it is not ideal for me, at 5 foot 11). If you’re looking for a meditation chair with back support for tall people this might not be ideal.
As a bonus, it comes with a small cushion that is firm.
- Very comfortable for people who are 5 foot 9 and under.
- Looks exactly like it does in the image.
- High quality build.
- Good for extended periods of sitting.
- Not suitable for people over 5 foot 10.
- Quite heavy when travelling.
IKUKO WOODEN MEDITATION BENCH
The Ikuko Wooden Meditation Bench was designed to make sitting down feel more natural by making you sit in a relaxed way and with good posture. It was specifically designed for lotus and half-lotus positions. The maker does note, however, that you can also sit in other positions when using this bench. And of course, you don’t just have to use it for meditating either, it’s a great bench for sitting to have a cup of green tea.
The bench features an open sitting angle and helps you to sit up straight without slouching. This puts your spine in good alignment to prevent spinal injury.
When you sit in the Ikuko Wooden Meditation Bench you feel your chest opening, which is excellent for the passage of chi and for helping your chakras to stay open.
One of the neat little bonuses of this meditation bench is that you can dismantle it, so it is easy to carry when travelling.
- Looks beautiful
- Solid design
- Helps with posture
- Can be dismantled for travelling
- Not ideal for taller meditators.
Back Jack Floor Chair
When you’re looking to buy a meditation chair, floor chairs are a good choice. They offer the same support as a regular chair while also being incredibly portable. You can easily put this chair in your car whenever you go to a meditation retreat or on a hike. It’s also lightweight and small.
The Back Jack Floor Chair’s ergonomic design makes it perfect if you have back problems. And some people have said that using these chairs doesn’t just prevent you from feeling back pain but actually helps to cure back problems.
However, this ergonomic meditation chair can be a little bit rickety, and its minimalist design won’t serve as a focal point in your meditation room.
That said, this is definitely one of the most reliable meditation chairs and offers great support.
- Easy to travel with
- Offers great support when sitting
- Good for people with back problems
- Not the most fancy design
Alexia Meditation Seat
When you’re looking to buy a meditation chair, comfort is top priority.
The Alexia meditation seat is so comfortable that you will never want to leave it. It is custom built exclusively for meditation and it provides everything you need from a good meditation seat. You can feel this seat supporting your body in the right places, and because of that support it is very easy to get comfortable and meditate.
On the negative: This is one of the larger meditation seats and is not for travel. It is a permanent piece of furniture to be put in your meditation room and left there.
One of the best things about this seat is that there are lots of colour options and you can also get it in vegan-friendly materials, which is a very good thing as we all know how important it is to love and support nature.
If you’re looking for an ergonomical meditation chair with back support this is a good choice.
- Large and sturdy
- Very high quality
- Exceptionally comfortable
- Not ideal for travelling
ZEN COMFORT MEMORY FOAM SEAT CUSHION
This non-slip memory foam seat cushion helps to cradle your hips for better posture. It features a very unique design with a centre that is shaped like a bowling pin. This bowling-pin space in the middle increases ventilation to stop the cushion from getting too hot. So, if you don’t like a warm bottom, you’ll love this.
The Zen meditation seat is particularly helpful for “relief for Prostate, Hemorrhoid, Sciatica, Hip, Lower & Upper Back, Tailbone, Pregnancy Pain.” So if you have any of those conditions this is the best meditation chair to buy.
As you can see from the image, you can also place this seat in a wheelchair, which is perhaps its most unique feature.
- Soft and offers plenty of give.
- One of the most versatile seats.
- Excellent build quality.
- Compresses significantly when you sit on it.
Acacia Wood Meditation Bench
You will likely have noticed that it is hard for tall people to find the best meditation chair to buy. Thankfully, the Acacia Wood Meditation Bench solves that problem. This is one of the best wooden meditation chairs on the market.
This is one of the best wooden meditation chairs for people up to 6 foot 1. And it is of a very high quality build. In fact, this is arguably the most high quality build meditation seat that there is. But there is a catch with that. Because it cannot be dismantled, which means that it is also one of the more difficult seats to travel with.
With this wooden meditation chair you get a trade off. It is very comfortable, and it is of high quality build, but it is heavy and hard to move. So if you want a meditation bench that you’ll keep in one place, this is perfect. But if you want to travel with it, look elsewhere.
- High quality build
- Very comfortable
- Looks great
- Difficult to travel with.
Friends Of Meditation Large Relaxing Buddha Meditation And Yoga Seat
Designed by a registered yoga teacher and Osho meditation facilitator, this large meditation chair (with an even larger name) fits people up to 6 foot 2 inches, which makes it one of the best choices for taller meditators.
This Osho meditation chair is very comfortable and makes it easier to sit in lotus position. I personally find this much more comfortable than a wooden meditation chair. If you have back pain you will find this seat very beneficial, especially with its additional backrest, which offers lower back support.
As a nice bonus, this Osho meditation chair comes with a complimentary bag for travelling, and it is fully foldable. All in all, this is one of the best meditation seats for taller people and those who like to travel.
- Ideal for tall meditators
- Given its size, is easy to travel with
JOY IS WITHIN YOU MEDITTION BENCH
This is a beautiful meditation bench that takes the weight off of your legs. It’s perfect for people who prefer to kneel when meditating. And the best thing about this bench is that it is handmade to an exceptionally high quality, so when you put it in your meditation room it really adds a focal point.
One of the problems with kneeling when meditating is that your legs fall asleep, and that prevents you from focusing on your meditation. This meditation bench offers a solution to that problem by letting you kneel in a natural position without the usual discomfort. Plus, in my experience, the cushion offers just the right amount of support.
The wood on this meditation chair is light but strong and made of sustainable harvested pine timber.
This is not a foldable meditation bench so it is not ideal for travel. But this is a trade-off because while you lose portability you gain durability and sturdiness.
- Looks beautiful
- Very high quality build
- Very comfortable for kneeling
- Not portable
Thanks to the very talented manufacturers on this list, there is a meditation chair for all purposes.
When you buy your meditation chair, always remember that the most important things are that it offers good support for your body and that it helps you focus when you meditate. All the meditation seats in this list do precisely that.
What do you personally think is the best meditation chair?
Leave a comment.