In this list of types of meditation, you will find methods from Buddhism, Taoism, Yoga and many modern types of meditation.
Each of these types of meditation has a corresponding guide. So click through to the technique to learn how to do it. Note that you can learn the vast majority of these methods by booking a private online meditation session with me.
Start with my beginner’s guides. When you read the link above you will learn the top meditation techniques in the world. Alongside this, I also recommend you read my guide to meditation poses and positions. And for absolute beginners my guide to how to meditate properly at home.
If you want to just go straight into meditation, you can use my guided meditation scripts.
More articles for beginners:
Taoist meditations revolve around qi, the life force. This is essential for creating health and wellbeing. In this guide you will learn the different Taoist methods and their benefits. These practices are based on the teachings of Lao Tzu in the Tao Te Ching.
Chi Exercises: This article explains how to do chi meditation, a type of meditation that is used to cultivate the energy called Chi. This helps with health and with wellbeing.
Many of the best types of meditation come from Buddhism. In this guide you will discover the most powerful Buddhist meditations and how to do them properly. Practices are based on instructions in the Pali Canon and the Sutras.
- Zen / Zazen: Zen is a seated type of meditation that is excellent at boosting focus and concentration. It uses technical sitting positions and breathing techniques to calm and focus the mind. (includes Zen Walking).
- Tukdam Meditation Technique: Powerful Buddhist meditation suitable for advanced meditators.
- Loving Kindness (Metta Bhavana): Buddhist method used to cultivate love and compassion for all beings. (Also includes Karuna Meditation). This is the type of meditation advocated by Sharon Salzberg and Pema Chodron and has been extensively researched by the likes of Harvard Medical School and the National Institute of Mental Health.
- Vipassana: Breathing and insight meditation used to explore the mind and understand the nature of mental phenomena. This method was made popular in the West by the likes of Jack Kornfield and Joseph Goldstein.
- Anapanasati: Technical breathing meditation used to create calmness and equanimity. Teachings are based on the Anapanasati Sutta.
- Samatha: Meditation in which we focus on one specific object.
Yoga meditations use a combination of pranayama and mantras. They are excellent for overall wellbeing.
- Dhyana yoga: One of the Eight Limbs of Yoga in Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras. This method is used for oneness and has been proven effective by research published in the National Institute of Health.
- Pratyahara: One of the Eight Limbs of Yoga in Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, a method of withdrawing from the senses.
- Trataka / Candle Gazing: Involves gazing on a candle or another meditation object. Used for concentration and mental stability.
- Kundalini meditation: Kundalini Yoga is a joyful type of yoga made famous by Yogi Bhajan and teachers like Sadhguru.
- Self-Inquiry meditation: One of the most powerful types of meditation in this list and advocated by the sage Ramana Maharshi as well as Eckhart Tolle.
Chakra meditations are used to open and clear the seven chakras in the body. Each chakra is associate with different benefits. This article will show you how to open all seven chakras.
- Third Eye meditation: Powerful form of insight meditation used to open the third eye Ajna chakra
Discover everything you need to know about mindfulness and how to live the mindful life.
Mindfulness is the practice of focusing the mind on the present moment without judgment. Advocated by institutes like the University of California, Berkeley. Also read our guide to Mindfulness Meditation Exercises.
Other Ways To Meditate
A list of types of meditation:
- Breathing meditation: Breathing techniques stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system, reduce amygdala activity, and balance cortisol to help relieve stress.
- Deep meditations: Discover how to go deeper in meditation.
- Jedi Meditations: Yes, there are meditations in Star Wars, and some of Yoda’s methods are actually pretty cool.
- Contemplation: Contemplation is a type of meditation used in Christianity, Judaism, and other religious practices. Involves meditating on The Bible, the Bhagavad Gita, and other religious texts.
- Merkaba Meditation: Powerful form of meditation used in Judaism and some other religions.
- Meditative Dance : From Indian Classical Dance to Buddhist Butterfly dance (Nabichum), dance has been used as a type of meditation. Find out how to do it.
- Meditation For Atheists: No, you do not have to be spiritual to practice meditation. Learn the best types of meditation for atheists here.
- Biblical: Biblical meditation techniques are used to get closer to God and Jesus Christ, according to Thomas Zanzig, Marilyn Kielbasa, authors of Christian Meditation for Beginners.
- Maum: Many people consider Maum a cult. In this guide we investigate.
- Alpha: Learn how to use meditation to enter Alpha Mind State.
- Osho: Learn the meditation techniques of spiritual guru Osho (Rajneesh).
- Chanting: From the Gregorian Chants to Mantras, chanting is a powerful type of healing meditation.
- Forest Bathing: Forest Bathing or “Shinrin Yoku” is an incredibly relaxing form of meditation based on Japanese tradition.
- Jon Kabat Zinn Body Scan: Learn the Body Scan Meditation Script created by Jon Kabat Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical School to help people struggling with chronic pain at the UMass Stress Reduction Clinic.