Good news: There are many powerful mantras for health problem and healing. You can use these mantras for healing diseases and other health conditions. For instance, there are ones for diabetes, blood pressure, heart disease, and many other common health problems.
Japa, which is the meditative recitation of sacred sounds and chants, can help to boost your immune system and relax the mind, which is incredibly important for healing.
According to the Harvard Divinity Bulletin, mantras heal the body and mind by connecting the individual to the divine. It is a method that has been famously advocated by the likes of Deepak Chopra on The Copra Center.
Thomas Ashley-Farrand [American Hindu Priest] suggests that mantras help us to uncover our unhealthy thinking patterns and replace them with new, healthy ones. And Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche [teacher of the Bon Tibetan religious tradition] says, “The words and syllables [of mantras] may carry the divine. . . . [and] be very effective in healing illnesses and emotions.”
Although scientific research is limited, certainly spiritual gurus and texts state that we can indeed use mantras for health problems. Let’s look at how to do it.
It is best to combine these mantras with some self-healing meditations.
Healing Mantras For Health Problems
Use these non-religious English affirmations to promote inner calm. This will help alleviate the symptoms of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and other health problems.
- “Every day. One step at a time.”
- “I am calm and in control of my body.”
- “Minute by minute hour by hour, I am healing.”
- “I am breathing deep, calming and relaxing.”
- “I am grateful for my body every day.”
- “With love and compassion, I protect my body.”
- “I am grateful for each new day on my way to recovery.”
Recite one of these mantras 108 times now (preferably using a mala necklace), with your eyes closed. Then repeat once a day.
Hinduism, Buddhism and yoga mantras for health problems & healing
VUNG – for blood pressure
Take a look at my article about meditation and high blood pressure.
Traditionally it was said that to practice this mantra you must be holding rudraksha beads. You must then recite “Vung” one thousand times. This will correct blood pressure (for both low blood pressure and high blood pressure).
Use this one in the morning and after work, while facing north. Recite it every day for one month. For best results perform outside.
Heart Disease: Om Hrung Joong Shah
This one should be repeated 500 times a day before sunrise and after sunset.
It will only work in the early stages of heart disease. You must wear a Rudraksha Mala while chanting.
Recite “Om Hrung Joong Shah” consistently for 15 days to cure heart disease.
- Om Krishna-Viththalaya Namaha for Tongue Cancer
- Om Narayani-Krishnaya Namaha for Lung Cancer
- Om Mahesh-Krishnaya Namaha for Throat Cancer
- Om Bhavani-Pandurangaya Namaha for Blood Pressure
- Om Jay-Pandurang-Rakhumaiya Namaha for Heart Disease
- Om Durga-Ganapatiya Namaha for Heart Murmur
- Om Ram-Krishnaya Namaha for Jaundice
- Om Jay-Shriramya Namaha for Diabetes
- Om Narayana-Ram-Krishna-Hariaya Namaha for Schizophrenia
- Om Jayram-Ganapatiya Namaha for Epilepsy
Mantras heal the body and mind by promoting relaxation, stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system, and helping with the physiological symptoms of stress and anxiety. Plus, you also get specific spiritual benefits from each mantra.
Unfortunately, there is a lack of science to back up the idea that mantras can heal the body. However, much research has shown the health benefits of meditation, and mantras are one form of meditation.
Because of the lack of scientific research, I do strongly recommend consulting a healthcare professional as well as using the chants I have shared above.
Spiritually speaking, people have been using mantras for thousands of years, and there are many ancient texts that discuss the health benefits of chanting. Buddhist and Hindu texts, as well as many yoga books, discuss the health benefits of mantras. And there has been much scientific research on the health benefits of sound healing too.
Vibration and energy
Chanting sacred sounds and phrases creates vibrations in the body through the movement of air. This is the same as when we hum. And science has shown that humming does have proven health benefits.
In The Humming Effect, Jonathan Goldman says: “When you bring your conscious attention to the practice of humming, it becomes an extraordinary vehicle for healing and transformation. Humming is easy and has marvellous beneficial effects, from lowering blood pressure and heart rate to stimulating the release of vital hormones such as melatonin and nitrous oxide.:
You also take advantage of these benefits of humming:
- Grounds us. When I’m suffering from Monkey Mind, I hum healing mantras to bring myself back to the moment.
- Clears the sinuses (you can actually feel this happening).
- Relaxes the muscles.
- Stops us from thinking too much (because we focus on the mantra rather than on our thoughts)
- If we hum a pleasant tune it makes us happy and joyful (try humming Jingle Bells without smiling, I dare you).
- Slows breathing rate.
- Relaxes the mind before bed
- Stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system 
- Reduces blood pressure between 10 – 20 mmHg
- Improves dental hygiene because vibrations in the mouth help move food particles.
Isn’t it amazing that even in the 21st Century, spiritual techniques like these are still among the best ways to heal ourselves?
You might also like to try these sound healing instruments.
This article was submitted by a guest blogger. You can read about the author in the post above. If you would like to submit an article, please write for us (sponsored guest posts).
Paul Harrison, Editor, THE DAILY MEDITATION.