We all know how hectic life can get.
Without even consciously realizing it, we find that there is so much noise in our lives and that we being pulled this way and that with too much going on.
- When there are too many people putting demands on you
- When there’s too much going on
- When you feel like you can’t get a moment’s peace
- When you wish everyone would just leave you alone
- When you with you could just stop for a moment
At times like that, it can be hard to hit the Pause button.
On top of major life events we may be dealing with, each day brings its own set of planned or spontaneous situations.
While we cannot always control the outer experiences going on, we certainly can control our responses to them. That way, even when life does get hectic on the outside, we can keep control on the inside. We can maintain inner peace.
I am an empath [read: 10 Tips For Empaths].
Being an empath, I am extra susceptible to stress and absorbing the energy in my environment.
One of the greatest tools I’ve utilized to help keep me centered, sturdy, and focused is grounding meditation.
Grounding is the practice of bringing our body, mind, and spirit back in alignment and rooted firmly into the Earth. It can be done in a number of ways, but here are some of my favorite practices.
When Life Gets Hectic, Keep Your Cool With These Techniques
1. Visualize white light pouring through you
This visualization only takes a few minutes. And it is recommended to be seated upright.
Try this now if you would like to feel more grounded:
- Close your eyes and imagine a white light pouring from above into the very top (crown) of your head.
- The light pours down your body, through your spine, down your tail bone and into the earth.
- It is important to imagine the light pushing through the earth and then sprouting roots.
- The roots curl around the soil so they are firmly planted.
- You can add variations to this and imagine it however you’d like.
The whole visualization takes me 5 minutes. I do this every morning when I wake up, to gently bring me back into this realm.
2. Move your breath with your arms
This practice is a simple breathing exercise paired with a few movements.
*You should be sitting for this exercise.
- You start with your hands held outwards at shoulder height.
- As you breathe, bring your arms up above your head.
- Have your hands come together (praying hands) as you complete your in-breath.
- Then, with your hands in prayer position straight above your head, breathe out as you bring them straight down to your chest.
- When you have fully exhaled, keep your hands by your heart for a moment.
- Repeat the process 2-3 more times.
- Go slow. It should take around 5 minutes.
3. Take an (ice) cold shower
This next activity might seem a little crazy, but it’s a sure way to bring your body back here on earth if you have not been feeling in your body lately.
There are two ways you can do this exercise.
The least daring one is holding ice to the middle of the bottoms of your feet. The goal is to hold it there until the ice cube has completely melted.
The second activity is taking a cold shower. Not lukewarm, but cold! While the experience is not the comfortable, it can be both beneficial and enjoyable when you shift your perspective on the experience. It will definitely help connect you with your body and bring you into the present moment.
4. Plant your feet on Mother Earth’s soil
This next one is quite simple. All it requires is standing barefoot on a nice area of soil, but grass basically works the same.
You can take a few deep breaths or do the breathing exercise from #2 in combination with this.
This exercise, unlike the others, is literally connecting you with the ground. It’s simple, and feels nice to imagine Mother Earth transferring her deeply calming energy to you.
*You can take this exercise further by practicing Zen Walking meditation.
5. Use these powerful root chakra affirmations
The root chakra is the first chakra for a reason: You can’t build on unstable ground. This is the chakra you should focus on when life gets hectic and when you want to feel more composed and more in control.
There are many ways to balance the root chakra but my favorite are affirmations.
The following are some of my favorites:
- “I am always safe.”
- “I love my body.”
- “I am safe in my body.”
- “I am anchored and connected to Mother Earth.”
- “I am always protected by The Universe /God.”
- “The Universe will always provide for me.”
I hope you try out these practices to see which you like best and feel are helpful. You can integrate these into your life anytime, anywhere.
Sophie Jennis is a Tarot Practitioner and on the path to becoming a teacher of Divine Love, working with Holistic healing modalities for powerful transformation. You can find her on Divine Love Activation and Twitter
This article was submitted by a guest blogger. You can read about the author in the post above. If you would like to submit an article, please write for us (sponsored guest posts).
Paul Harrison, Editor, THE DAILY MEDITATION.