Once you know how to Zen your home, it will be so much easier to relax at home. In this guide we’ll look at how to make a Zen home.
Relaxing is something a lot of us struggle with. I personally find it difficult sometimes to de-stress. And the sad truth of it is this: One of the main causes of stress is home life.
Of course, we love our homes. But clutter, mess, and just plain bad decor can cause bad moods, stress, and the general inability to, you know, chill out.
That’s why one of the best ways to relax is to make your home more Zen.
What is a Zen home?
When I say, “Make your home more Zen”, what I really mean is: make your home a relaxing place to be in. And, importantly, make your home a place that inspires you to be relaxed and to have inner peace. Ultimately it is the effect that your home has on you that matters.
You home can make you stressed. Or your home can make you relaxed.
Being at home will make you stressed if your house is a mess or if there are sources of negativity lying about the place. Those “sources of negativity” could be stressful letters like load repayments, they could be any personal items that happen to remind you of bad times in your life, or they could simply be things that you no longer need, things you could clear out to make more space in your home.
A “Zen home” is a home that makes you feel relaxed and peaceful. It is a home that feels peaceful and happy
So, how to make your home more Zen.
Try these tips to make your home more relaxing.
How To Zen Your Home To Make It Relaxing
1. Create a meditation space to relax in at home
If you want to know how to Zen your home, start by creating a meditation room.
This one room will be a place at home to relax. It’s somewhere you can escape to when you need to, somewhere you can just sit, meditate, and unwind.
Essentially, you are creating a relaxation room at home so anytime you feel stressed you can go unwind and find your inner peace. I personally love having a space to meditate in. It’s good to know that even if all goes to hell, I’ve got that special place at home for Zen.
And if you’re wondering, here are the best ways to meditate at home.
2. Use your home décor for relaxation by including these items
One of the best ways to Zen your home is by using your home décor for relaxation.
Try these tips:
- Go with earthy colours. Use browns, green, white beige.
- Have scented candles at the ready for when you need to relax.
- Get rid of any clutter and go with minimal décor.
- The most calming colour for home is blue. Use it..
- Introduce relaxing textures, such as soft carpets that make your feet feel good.
- Use a lot of open space.
- If any item at all makes you feel negative at home, get rid of it
- Any items showing or suggesting nature are probably a good thing (this could be actual pictures of natural scenes, or patterns such as cushions with leave patterns on them)
3. Make a yoga room to relax at home in
I don’t know about you, but nothing makes me for more relaxed than a good yoga workout, which is why I created a yoga room.
Just like your home-meditation studio, the home-yoga studio is a home Zen space where you can get into your flow by rocking your Sun Salutations. Of course, you can combine the two rooms and have a “Meditation And Yoga Room”.
Make this room so beautiful that you want to go in it every single day. That way you will meditate and do yoga every day. And those are two of the best ways to relax at home.
4. Introduce natural sunlight to make your house more peaceful
So much has been written about the importance of natural sunlight for mood. And we all know we need some vitamin D.
Here are some great ways to get more sunlight at home:
- Avoid dark colours, which absorb sunlight
- Wash your windows so more sunlight gets in
- Add skylights
- Use solar tubes
- Trim trees that block the sun from getting to your home
5. Bring in the goodness of mother nature
If you’re anything like me you will absolutely love going for long walks. And why? Well, surely it has something to do with being out in nature, being surrounded by birdsong, the sound of the wind rustling the leaves, the bright green foliage, and a clear blue sky.
Take all of that natural goodness and pour it into your home. This will make your home more relaxing by far.
Here’s some ideas to Zen your home with mother nature:
- Decorate your home with relaxing artwork depicting natural scenes
- Place plants strategically so you’re always around greenery
- Install a water feature
- Get a pet!
- Place stones and pebbles around the home
- Start growing these natural relaxing herbs
7. Use your home décor for relaxation-reminders
Let me spin the situation on its head for a moment. If you want to Zen your home, what you really want to do is create a home that makes you peaceful yourself. The best way to do that is to place items around the home that remind you to relax, remind you to be mindful, to meditate and to do all the other things that make you feel Zen.
Here are some relaxing items for the home that remind you to be peaceful and relaxed:
- Buddha statues (or a statue of your deity or an inspiring figure that has a positive influence on you)
- Photos of yourself when you were totally relaxed and feeling just groovy
- Inspiring quotes that remind you of what really matters in life (you know, stuff like love and family)
- Gifts from friends and family (which will remind you of all the wonderful people in your life)
- Meditation crystals (which remind you to meditate and also have tons of great health benefits)
8. You can’t make a Zen home without a Zen garden!
Hands up who loves the garden? I know I do. But one thing I love even more than my regular garden is my Zen garden.
If you’ve never heard of a Zen garden, take a look at that link above and I will show you what a Zen garden is and how to create one.
And that is how to Zen your home
Those are my best ideas on how to Zen your home.
When you make your home more relaxing you create your own little haven, a space where you are reminded to take it easy, to have inner peace and to be relaxed.
Home is where your heart is. Make it a beautiful heart.
And if you want even more relaxation checkout my favorite meditations for relaxation.
Leave a comment and remember to subscribe.