In this guide, we will look at the best crystal meditation techniques and the best meditation crystals.
Meditation crystals and stones offer an additional method of meditating. Plus, they offer some benefits that other methods do not provide.
Indeed, different gemstones have different benefits, according to the International Gem Society. For instance, some stones purify emotions and calm the mind.
Plus, as Rachell Williams [Vedic Educator, The Chopra Center] says, “crystals add a dimension of inner exploration that can be quite rewarding—and fun!”
Sadly, there is no scientific evidence on the effects of crystals. Indeed, research by Christopher French, Lyn Williams, and Hayley O’Donnell suggests that meditation crystals work by placebo.
However, many teachers and gemologists believe they work, and they have been used in different cultures for thousands of years.
Whether or not science supports the use of meditation crystals, meditating with them is fun. Plus, they add a refreshing new aspect to your meditation training.
Let’s look at the benefits of crystal meditation techniques, and then I will share with you the best meditation crystals and how to do crystal meditation technique.
Benefits of Crystal Meditation Technique
There are numerous benefits of meditation crystals. However, the exact benefits you will receive depends on the type of gemstones you use.
Different meditation crystals have different benefits
Meditation gemstones have unique properties that can help to boost your mind-state. Some gems help with anxiety, some help with depression, some help you focus, and so on. They provide unique energy that can alter your mental state.
According to Amy Leigh Mercree [holistic health expert and author], crystals work because of the way their atoms and molecules move and interact.
The atoms and molecules of different gemstones move in different ways. That’s why you need to know how to choose the best meditation crystal for your individual needs.
They also help to ground your meditation.
When you meditate on an object, you bind your energy to that object. For instance, if you have a Buddhist prayer bead mala, it will be full of peaceful energy. When you wear your mala, you feel more relaxed.
Meditation crystals do a similar thing.
We develop a connection with meditation crystals.
When you meditate with a crystal, you create a connection with it. It becomes a symbol of peace and healing. Then, the next time you meditate with the crystal, you will find it easier to access that same state of peaceful healing.
Finally, gemstones help you focus. It can be easier to meditate on an object. Indeed, this is something Buddhists have been doing for millennia with a technique called Samatha Meditation.
You will definitely benefit from meditation crystals. So, let’s look at the best ones.
Best Meditation Crystals
To choose a meditation crystal, ask yourself what you want to achieve.
- Do you want to achieve inner peace? If so, buy a meditation crystal for inner peace.
- Want to ace your exams? Get a meditation crystal for focus and concentration.
- Want to cure anxiety? Get a meditation crystal for anxiety.
- Interested in finding love? Get a meditation crystal for love
My favourite crystals for meditation come from People Crystals. They offer a great chakra crystal set.
You can grab it on Amazon.
Properties of different meditation crystals.
Amethyst: This crystal is used to quiet the mind to allow insight and wisdom to arise to the conscious level. Amethyst also enhances visualisation and alters consciousness.
Aquamarine: This is a wonderful gemstone that you can use to improve self-awareness. It is very useful if you have lost touch with your centre.
Carnelian: This one focuses the mind and heightens concentration. Carnelian is very useful when studying. It also cures the “monkey mind”.
Charoite: This stone is used for creating tranquillity and relaxation. [source]
Crystal Cluster: This is a fantastic stone when meditating with someone else. It will heighten your connection to the other person.
Fluorite: This anchors you and grounds you, improving concentration.
Jade: Jade is a wonderful stone for calming the mind and for curing negative thinking.
Jasper Brown: If you are hoping to achieve a deep meditative state, this stone will help.
Labradorite: This helps to heighten your state of consciousness.
Lapis Lazuli: This enhances wisdom and insight.
Moonstone: Moonstone puts you in harmony with your unconscious mind and promotes relaxation and peace of mind.
Obsidian: Used for spiritual protection.
Prehnite: Use this crystal to achieve clarity of mind.
Quartz: Quartz is a brilliant overall psychic enhancer, helping to heighten focus and concentration, to raise consciousness, and to improve mental clarity.
Sapphire: (Blue): This brings calmness to the mind and allows deeper intuition to come to light.
If you’re still not sure which crystal to use for meditation, go for either clear quartz, which balances the chakras or selenite, a gypsum-based crystal said to connect us with our higher self and to help access Akashic records.
Also, note that there is a difference between meditation crystals and stones. Stones are solid and not metallic, and crystals are solid material made of atoms and molecules in a repeating pattern (crystalline lattices).
Recommended gemstone set ($27.97)
Take your time when picking your crystals for meditation. It’s very important to select the right one for you. So, if you need to take a second look at the list above, go ahead.
If you’re shopping for someone else, be sure to see our list of the best meditation gifts.
How To Do Crystal Meditation Technique [Script]
Now let’s discuss how to do the crystal meditation technique. Simply follow this script.
- Choose the meditation crystal for your individual needs [see above].
- Find a quiet and peaceful area where you will not be disturbed [it’s best to have a room of the house dedicated to practice]. Sit with good posture in a meditation chair. Place your feet at shoulder-width apart. Make sure your spine is straight but relaxed and comfortable. Gently lower your chin to elongate your neck. Take a few moments to mindfully breathe.
- Watch your breath moving in and out of your body. This promotes the activity of the parasympathetic nervous system to help you to relax.
- Hold your meditation crystal in front of you. It is important that it be in your hands. Heather Askinosi [co-founder, Energy Muse] says, “The best way to meditate with crystals is by holding them [because] it allows you to develop a tangible connection to the crystals as you meditate.” Holding the crystal lets it influence your energy and vibrations.
- Breathe deeply and calmly, slowing the rate of your breathing gradually.
- Look at your crystal and observe its every detail. Meditate on the crystal. The aim is to make your mind one with the meditation crystals. Like you would with other meditation techniques (e.g. Bhakti). Let thoughts and feeling come and go. You can label your thoughts and feelings if this helps you to focus.
- Close your eyes and take a deep breath in. Now imagine that you are inside your meditation crystal. Allow yourself to become absorbed in the gemstone. Let any thoughts you have subside. Quiet your mind. Move into the crystal, allowing yourself to explore it. Visualize being inside your meditation crystal so that the energy of the crystal merges with your own energy.
- Continue meditating in this fashion for ten minutes. When ready, take ten deep breaths and gradually return to psychical reality. Express gratitude for your mediation crystal.
- Remember the way you feel after doing this crystal meditation.
- Repeat again tomorrow.
Cleansing your crystal
Just as we must cleanse mala bead stones before using them, we need to cleanse gemstones too.
When you first get your meditation crystal, it will have been around for many years and will likely have been handled by many people. That means that the energy of the crystal will not be pure. You want your crystal meditation technique to be as effective as possible Therefore, you should cleanse your crystal.
Be careful with your meditation crystal. Some meditation crystals are fragile, and some may fade in sunlight. It’s a good idea to wrap them in velvet or silk when you’re not using them, which will help to protect them.
You can cleanse your meditation crystal by burying it in the ground. This removes negative energy from the crystal.
- Get dried sea salt
- Pour the salt into a glass
- Delicately place the crystal in the salt with the point facing downward
- Leave overnight
Hold your crystal in a natural source of running water (or a tap if no natural sources are available). Of course, before you do that, you will want to make sure that your gemstone isn’t soluble. Some gemstones are more water-soluble than others. To help you determine how soluble yours is, refer to this guide on ClassicGems.
Use Cleansing Crystals:
Crystals such as carnelian and quartz have cleansing properties.
Put a cleansing crystal in a bag with other crystals to cleanse them. Cleanse your crystal once when you first get it. That will purify it. And then cleanse it again every so often to keep it clear of negative energy. Now that it has been properly washed, we can start meditating with the crystal.
I love the crystal meditation technique. The best meditation crystals truly do add a wonderful aspect to your practice, whether or not scientific evidence supports their usage.
To be honest, even without the evidence I will carry on using crystal meditation technique because I find it enjoyable and more fun than the other forms of meditation.
Which do you think is the best crystal for meditation, and why?
Leave a comment and remember to subscribe to our newsletter.