In this guide we will look at the best crystal meditation techniques and the best meditation crystals.
Meditation crystals and stones offer an additional method of meditating. Plus, they offer some benefits that other methods do not provide. Different gemstones have different benefits, according to the International Gem Society, such as purifying the emotions and calming the mind. That’s why you might like to start using crystals in meditation practice.
Plus, as Rachell Williams [Vedic Educator, The Chopra Center] says, “crystals add a dimension of inner exploration that can be quite rewarding—and fun!”
Sadly there is is no scientific evidence on the effects of crystals. Indeed, research by Christopher French, Lyn Williams, and Hayley O’Donnell suggests that meditation crystals work by placebo. However, many teachers and gemologists believe they work, and they have been used in different cultures for thousands of years.
Whether or not the science supports the use of meditation crystals, techniques involving gemstones are highly enjoyable and can add a refreshing new aspect to your meditation training. Before we look at exactly how to meditate with crystals, you need to ask yourself an important question:
Let’s look at the benefits of crystal meditation techniques, and then I will share with you the best meditation crystals and how to do crystal meditation technique.
Benefits of Crystal Meditation Technique
There are numerous benefits of meditation crystals. However, the exact benefits you will receive depends on the type of gemstones you use.
Just as different types of meditation are better for certain people, choosing the best crystal for meditation is entirely dependent on who you are as an individual and what type crystal healing you want to do.
Generally, speaking, however, the best meditation crystals can help you to take your training further for several reasons.
For starters, meditation gemstones have unique properties that can help to boost your mind-state. Some gems help with anxiety, some help with depression, some help you focus, and so on. They provide unique energy that can alter your mental state.
They also help to ground your meditation. When you meditate on an object, you bind your energy to that object. For instance, if you have a Buddhist prayer bead mala, that mala will be full of peaceful energy. When you wear your mala, you feel more relaxed.
Meditation crystals do a similar thing. They carry unique energy that helps return you to the state you were in when you meditate with the crystal. For instance, if you use meditation crystals for anxiety, the relaxed state of mind that you feel when you meditate with the crystal will stay with the crystal. Then, when you see or touch the gemstone, you feel that calming energy.
Finally, a third benefit is that they can help you to focus. It can be easier to meditate on an object, and this is something Buddhists have been doing for millennia with a technique called Samatha Meditation.
Best Meditation Crystals
According to Amy Leigh Mercree [holistic health expert and author], crystals work because of the way their atoms and molecules move and interact.
The atoms and molecules of different gemstones move in different ways. That’s why you need to know how to choose the best meditation crystal for your individual needs.
Ultimately, you are choosing a meditation crystal to create specific desired states. So, of course, the best crystals for meditation are the ones that have the properties that you want to see in yourself. This will ultimately depend on who you are, your strengths and weaknesses, and what you want to achieve in your life, and also if you have a specific type of crystal healing you’re aiming for.
To choose a meditation crystal, ask yourself what you want to achieve.
- Do you want to achieve inner peace? If so, buy a meditation crystal for inner peace.
- Want to ace your exams? Get a meditation crystal for focus and concentration.
- Want to cure anxiety? Get a meditation crystal for anxiety.
- Want love? Get a meditation crystal for love
You cannot choose your best meditation crystal until you determine what you want to get out of your practice. Take a few minutes right now to answer this question: What would your best meditation crystal to do you?
My favourite crystals for meditation come from People Crystals. They offer a great chakra crystal set.
You can grab it on Amazon.
For more specific uses, here are the properties of the best meditation crystals.
Amethyst: This crystal is used to quiet the mind in order to allow insight and wisdom to arise to the conscious level. Amethyst also enhances visualisation and alters consciousness.
Aquamarine: This is a wonderful gemstone which you can use to improve self-awareness. It is very useful if you have lost touch with your centre.
Carnelian: This one focuses the mind and heightens concentration. Carnelian is very useful when studying. It also cures “monkey mind”.
Charoite: This stone is used for creating tranquillity and relaxation. [source]
Crystal Cluster: This is a fantastic stone to use when meditating with someone else. It will heighten your connection to the other person.
Fluorite: This anchors you and grounds you, improving concentration.
Jade: Jade is a wonderful stone for calming the mind and for curing negative thinking.
Jasper Brown: If you are hoping to achieve a deep meditative state, this stone will help.
Labradorite: This helps to heighten your state of consciousnessness.
Lapis Lazuli: This enhances wisdom and insight.
Moonstone: Moonstone puts you in harmony with your unconscious mind, and promotes relaxation and peace of mind.
Obsidian: Used for spiritual protection.
Prehnite: Use this crystal to achieve clarity of mind.
Quartz: Quartz is a brilliant overall psychic enhancer, helping to heighten focus and concentration, to raise consciousness, and to improve mental clarity.
Sapphire: (Blue): This brings calmness to the mind and allows deeper intuition to come to light.
If you’re still not sure which crystal to use for meditation, go for either clear quartz, which balance the chakras and are said to alter consciousness, or selenite, a gypsum-based crystal said to connect us with our higher self and to help access Akashic records.
Also note that in meditation crystals and stones are used as the same word although in fact they are different. Stones are solid and not metallic, and crystals are a solid material made of atoms and molecules in a repeating pattern (crystalline lattices).
Recommended gemstone set ($27.97)
Take your time when picking your crystals for meditation. It’s very important to select the right one for you. So if you need to take a second look at the list above, go ahead.
If you’re shopping for someone else, be sure to see our list of the best meditation gifts.
Crystal Meditation Technique [How To]
So, it is now time for us to discuss crystal meditation technique. Simply follow this script.
- Make sure to choose the meditation crystal for your individual needs [see above]. A good crystal may include lines and patterns that help you to get lost in it.
- Find a quiet and peaceful area where you will not be disturbed [it’s best to have a room of the house dedicated to practice]. Sit with good posture in a meditation chair. Place your feet at shoulder-width apart. Make sure your spine is straight but relaxed and comfortable. Gently lower your chin to elongate your neck. Take a few moments to mindfully breathe. Simply watching your breath moving in and out of your body. This promotes activity of the parasympathetic nervous system to help you to relax.
- Hold your meditation crystal in front of you, making sure you can see it clearly.
- . Heather Askinosi [co-founder, Energy Muse] says, “The best way to meditate with crystals is by holding them [because] it allows you to develop a tangible connection to the crystals as you meditate.” Holding the crystal lets it influence your energy and vibrations.
- Breathe deeply and calmly, slowing the rate of your breathing gradually. (note: some people like to not touch their gemstones and instead leave it on a crystal grid or altar).
- Look at your crystal and observe its every detail. Meditate on the crystal. The aim is to make your mind one with the meditation crystals. Like you would with other meditation techniques (like Buddhist Vipassana), when you meditate on the crystal simply let thoughts and feeling come and go. You can label your thoughts and feelings if this helps you to focus.
- Close your eyes and take a deep breath in. Now imagine that you are inside your meditation crystal. Allow yourself to become absorbed in the gemstone. Let any thoughts you have subside. Quiet your mind. Move into the crystal, allowing yourself to explore it. Visualize being inside your meditation crystal so that the energy of the crystal merges with your own energy.
- Continue meditating in this fashion for ten minutes. When ready, take ten deep breaths and gradually return to psychical reality. Express gratitude for your mediation crystal.
- Remember the way you feel after doing this crystal meditation.
- Repeat again tomorrow.
You can also use crystal meditation technique for the chakras by placing the crystal on the chakra you want to heal to activate that area. Using crystals with the chakras is an excellent crystal healing technique. For instance, you can place a labradorite crystal on your third eyes chakra (Ajna chakra) to heal it.
Cleansing your crystal
Just as we must cleanse mala bead stones before using them, we need to cleanse gemstones too. When you first get your meditation crystal, it will have been around for many years and will likely have been handled by many people. That means that the energy of the crystal will not be pure. You want your crystal meditation technique to be as efective as possible, so make sure you cleanse it.
But first a precaution. Be careful with your meditation crystal. Some meditation crystals are fragile, and some may fade in sunlight. It’s a good idea to wrap them in velvet or silk when you’re not using them, which will help to protect them.
You can cleanse your meditation crystal by burying it in the ground. This removes negative energy from the crystal.
- Get dried sea salt
- Pour the salt into a glass
- Delicately place the crystal in the salt with the point facing downward
- Leave overnight
Hold your crystal in a natural source of running water (or a tap if no natural sources are available). Of course, before you do that, you will want to make sure that your gemstone isn’t soluble. Some gemstones are more water-soluble than others. To help you determine how soluble yours is, refer to this guide on ClassicGems.
Use Cleansing Crystals:
Crystals such as carnelian and quartz have cleansing properties. Put a cleansing crystal in a bag with other crystals to cleanse them. Cleanse your crystal once when you first get it. That will purify it. And then cleanse it again every so often to keep it clear of negative energy. Now that is has been properly washed, we can start meditating with the crystal.
I love crystal meditation technique. The best meditation crystals truly do add a wonderful aspect to your practice, whether or not scientific evidence supports their usage. To be honest, even without the evidence I will carry on using crystal meditation technique because I find it enjoyable and more fun than the other forms of meditation that I use.
Which do you think is the best crystal for meditation, and why?
Leave a comment and remember to subscribe to our newsletter.