Today I would like to discuss the Ushas mudra. It’s a very easy and healthy way to boost your energy. And it only takes ten minutes.
In this guide I’ll discuss the steps of the Ushas murda, the benefits that the mudra offers, and how and when you should use the Ushas mudra in your everyday life.
If you have read my Ultimate Guide To The Mudras, you will know that mudras are specific hand positions that are used in yoga, Hinduism and Buddhism.
Different mudras offer different benefits. Some make you happy. Some help you focus. Some help with health problems. And so on.
I personally use mudra everyday and find them to be a wonderful addition to spiritual practice.
One of the best mudras is the Ushas mudra. This is a simple mudra that raises energy. So it’s good to use it anytime you’re feeling tired.
Ushas mudra Steps
As I mentioned, the Ushas mudra is a very simple mudra. In fact, there are only three steps to doing it.
- Clasp your fingers so your right thumb is above the left.
- The right thumb should be pushing on the left thumb gently
- Women should adjust the position ever so slightly so that the right thumb is between the left thumb and index finger.
- Hold this position for 15 minutes.
The photo at the top of the page shows the correct hand position for the Ushas mudra.
Ushas Mudra Benefits
This mudra is excellent for the chakras (see our Chakras articles for more ways to activate your chakras).
The Ushas mudra is used for activating energy in the second chakra.
The second chakra, the sacral chakra, is the center of creativity and sexuality. There is energy in the chakra that is vital for pleasure, mental alertness and for producing that “get up and go” attitude.
When you use the Ushas mudra you activate the energy in your second chakra and release that energy into the energy centres above it. This wakes you up, harmonises your hormonal system, refreshes you, and makes you more alert.
So, the main benefit of the usha mudra is that it energises and invigorates you.
Because the Ushas mudra energises you, it’s a great “go-to” mudra when you’re feeling tired.
Naturally, one of the best times to use the Ushas mudra is first thing in the morning.
Wake up, put your hands behind your head in the Ushas mudra, and stay there for ten minutes while breathing deeply and meditating on your breathing.
There are several ways to make the Ushas mudra more effective.
1. While using the Ushas mudra, inhale deeply and welcome fresh energy into your body. This will make the mudra even more energising.
2. Try this visualisation.
While doing the steps above, use this visualisation:
- Visualise yourself lying down under a rising sun.
- Imagine the golden sun rays caressing your body and warming you.
- Imagine that you are beginning to awaken.
- Feel the energy of the sun passing through your body, invigorating you.
- Breathe in that energy and let it course through your body.
- Recite the affirmation “I am full of energy and life”. Recite this affirmation 108 times.
The ushas mudra will boost your energy when you’re feeling lethargic.
I would love to hear how you get on with this mudra.
Leave a comment.